I am determined that this blog does not get the better of me and that I update it just enough so that people don't give up on me and never check it again.
My knee (no picture this time) is marvellously recovered to the extent that I was even able to totter around on high heels last saturday as a bridesmaid at my friend's wedding. There was a slightly embassassing moment when I got the heel stuck in a grate in the church and had to abandon the shoe altogether to be recovered by my superstrong husband who was lurking nearby on usher duty. Fortunately the knee thing went in my favour, as those that had noticed the abandoned shoe assumed my knee was hurting, rather than the fact that I had managed to lodge the delicate cinderella slipper well and truely down a small hole, almost never to be seen again!
I don't think I mentioned our other small health issues as a family...Isaac spent a few hours in a&e a fortnight ago having his head stuck back together after a friendly horsey ride went wrong. He is well recovered now, although we are still picking glue out of his hair (yuk!)
And last week, pretty much out of no where (or possible the result of a mountain bike tumble a month ago) Paul almost lost the use of his left arm and was diagnosed with tendonitis by our lovely friend Liz who's a physiotherapist. Fortunatley (thank you God), he has recovered pretty quickly and seems to be almost back to normal (although maybe press ups will have to wait a while!).
Oh and Indonesia...we spent last week training in Manchester which was brilliant - we learned a lot about culture shock (help!), the American school system and we spent quite a bit of time studying the good book and working out how to prepare a sermon (even more help!) should we ever be called upon for such a thing.
I finally shook off the double life at work and came clean about our plans this week. I had talked about it as a possibility so it wasn't a major shock and everyone was very encouraging (although there was enough wailing to make me think they'd actually prefer me to stay).
I have been declaring left right and centre that I am scared. I am not going to do that any more becuase God has been having stern words with me about it. He says that (according to the lovely Lou Fellingham) "Our confidence is not our ability, nor in the earthly strength that we hold" and I am reminded that this whole thing is actually about Him and that I am not called to change the world but simply to trust in Him. Our funding is up to about 65% now which is a miracle in itself but we still need more for us to go (£600 per month) . I have handed my notice in at work and I know He is faithful and I'm learning to be confident in that. I am learning that I don't have to run and wear myself out trying to fund raise in my own strength - I am not complacent but I am trusting that He will do the work that He has promised. So in the words of another song by Lou Fellingham, "I will wait, I'll wait, I will wait, I'll wait for You. I will say of the Lord He is my refuge. I will say of the Lord He is my strength." (and I'll try not to make you wait too long for the next blog!)


2 comments:
Culture shock is a bad one... Even though I suffered it for pretty much 10 months, I'm struggling to think of things which might help avoid it. I think trying to manage your expectations and recognising and being honest about the things you don't like might help. I think mine was partly the result of feeling I had nothing left that was familiar and trying to cling desperately to 'me', rather than being able to adapt. I don't know whether having two of you will help - you'll have the support and the familiarity, but you've got two people's reactions to deal with, so added complexity.
It didn't help me that I had dreamed of going to Uganda and starting a new life where I felt like I belonged, and spending three months living wiht one person who did fit in and belong straight away when I was doing anything but.
Lots of talking and lots of grace towards each other is probably the answer.
But as far as the boys go, I have NO suggestions!
Hi Nobles. Love the blogspot. It was fun for me to read through your thoughts and feelings, and I loved the photos you took during your trip. We continue to pray for you and are looking forward to meeting you in a couple of months.
Blessings,
Bill Webb and family
Post a Comment